Sunday, April 20, 2014

Getting Married in my Country ,Part 4

Marriage in my country
I come from a country in the black continent of Africa, the west side of it and the wealthiest of it, funny yet saturated with poverty. Overtime especially in my generation, there is being an orientation shift of marriage from (true) love to materialism. Probably owing to time and age, like Fat Joe said "material girl in a material word." Hopefully the girls don't hiss and feel am not going to do a "hit em up" on the men. Most Nigerian men today I feel won't settle for housewives, we want a career woman with a good job and pay, a strong pillar for financial security. When such guys fall in love with a simple woman, the chop and go approach applies then on to the next one. Some guys go as far as going for girls from affluent families to seek shelter from the hardship of life. And the girls now feeling so justified and relieved for the material vindication. Notwithstanding, the girls are on a greater measure convicts for material and financial shelter in the sphere of marriage.


No reasonable man who wants his daughter or sister to settle for a poor man but with the stuffs we see these days –"omo!" MONEY APPEARS TO BE LOVE.
Marriage in my country today occurs very late in the lives of her youth. Unlike before, girls in the universities start getting married from their final years or not too long after graduation. How many today find their spouse in the National Youth Corp Service sef." Na wa o."


Four years after graduation, a bulk of the youth are still burking with the struggle and for the normal street boy or girl, "no time mayne". Just pump it up and deliver a baby – so many baby mamas and dramas. Some guys don't even think about marriage, they are only forced into it because of the societal or parental pressure. Funny how a man of 33 years old would brag he is an ELIGIBLE bachelor and you will be like seriously!
We have generally spoilt the marriage institution, the guys are trying to be like Dangote before marriage and a lot of girls would have to rust a little at home owing to the standards and pepper (hell) they have shown the boys at their prime. Not too long, a Nigerian yoruba actress was encouraging single ladies to get along with married men since the single men are not relationship serious and marriage ready.


The cankerworm has really eaten deep, no doubt. A man can be rich forever but the woman cannot be hot forever, at least, relative to the young girls in the making. No wonder the beautiful ones are not yet born but seriously, how many guys can beat their chest that they have not seen hell cause they faced competition over their girl. Common its always about the dough! And how many girls would say they have not put their boyfriends on pending over a wealthy or perhaps, some KEYBOARD WARRIORS, if you know what I mean?

I have friends who cast spells on the keyboard and I know how they change girls like they flip a coin. Don't get me misunderstood but these stuffs have affected the institute of marriage – just saying and that's what it is. And let it be known that I don't support the vagaries of UNEMPLOYMENT and POVERTY accompany couple into the institution but in the 21st century, appears we are asking for more in time and affluence forgetting the basis, LOVE. However, the basis alone wouldn't suffice.

Editor's note
A lot of my friends are getting married and I am like "na wa o." hopefully, they got married to the one they love and not because time ain't on their side. As for me, that marriage thing "get as e be" in this new age, it should be more of an alliance,agreement,understanding,friendship and Love . I don't think I know when i will get married. Not that I don't dig the institution of marriage as much, but if the right girl comes and tools are in place I mean cash, a man got no choice but to secure .but if you do as a result of pressure from time, age, people , family and friends. May the pressure guide thee in it. Happy married life to all the couples staining my wall with their wedding Invitations and pictures. And if I post any babe's picture on my wall or Blackberry and you ask me how far? I might be the first to expose you or better still do the lesser evil, blackmail you .
Thanks to MOYO AKINLADE for the huge Contribution.

Before I forget, happy birthday to me...... God bless me and give me long life in good health and wealth. I want Ferrari, I want Designers , I want Mansions ... Plus Love too... Lol

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very Interesting Yemi!
Well, u just might hit some jackpot today and then start staining other people's walls with ur wedding I.V. Afterall, its ur birthday #wink.
Happy Birthday!

The Wordsmith said...

A lot of my friends are getting married and I am like "na wa o." hopefully, they got married to the one they love and not because time ain't on their side. As for me, that marriage thing "get as e be"
....Its your birthday today Omooba, you know time too aint on your side (lolz). You still have my email addy, that's where I want my IV sent to. #Waiting.
Happy Birthday friend, have a blast!

The Pope said...

Very well said Yemi!
A big Happy Birthday to you brother