Sunday, June 23, 2013

OJB. (Matters Arising)

Ojb! Ojb!!!!!!!! Is ILL... (BABATUNDE OKUNGBOWA) A.k.a OJB is down with Kidney Problem. Yea I know u know for sure. If you don't, am telling you now. Events unfolding about his kidney problems and how he needs money to do a transplant to get better in shape. First of all, this Man has gone through a lot . I remember vividly the last time he made News concerning his daughter who died from a heart related problem. What else could be demoralizing as that? Psychologically&Emotionally. But there are some questions I would like to ask and also throw open. Also, I have some suggestions concerning this Issue.

1)What if Ojb had health Insurance?
2)What if Ojb had been receiving royalties from his production?
3)What if the government made health policies for the benefit of the populace?
4)What if Ojb had investments that yield? What if Ojb wasn't a superstar?
5)What if ojb had saved for the rainy day?
6)What if Ojb had a financial adviser while he was making hits?
7)What if Ojb knew he won't reign for life as a producer?
8)What if no one pays money into the U.B.A account? What will happen?
9)There are more questions than answers. But I would like to contribute in my own little way. PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT INTEND TO UNDERMINE THE SICK.

#1. I believe stars or superstars have this feeling they would always be in demand for a long period and forget to prepare for the period where they are no longer in demand! Remember, without demand, there is no supply. Just the other day, I read a story on a blog about an artiste who gave out a $10,000 wristwatch to a fan while performing on stage. By my calculations,that amounst to N1.5 million using the exchange rate of N150. Then I ask myself who are you trying to please? This artiste is not even as rich as the likes of Davido, whizkid and Wande Coal, let alone the likes of 2face, D'banj,P-Square and Don jazzy. I hope he can still do that in 10YEARS time !!!.
Back to Ojb, I do not want to blame him for his predicament now because he's down and he who is down should not be looked down on , neither should he be made to feel bad. But if there was a Health Insurance or Scheme put in place , I believe we would not even hear about his ailment . Like wise, the insurance company would have taken care of the bills. All we would have heard was, I was ill and I have done the operation successfully and life goes on. But you see, Nigerians lack Insurance Culture, me inclusive, and we need to ammend this. Even if you earn 80 thousand naira per month, there is no evil in setting aside 10 - 20 %. Of your income on Health Insurance. We spend more on partying, beer and women/men don't we?


#2. The issue of royalties in the music industry. To me , Nigerian Entertainment industry has not yet maximized up to half of its potential. If ojb was receiving royalties from hit productions like African Queen, Nfana Ibaga, True love and the rest. These were Hit Songs, songs that are still evergreen. How come its only the Artiste reaping the benefits and the Music label that had both artiste and producer under it. Let's call a spade , A SPADE. The royalties I believe should be accrued or should have been accrued to OJB should be nothing less than 10-15 million Naira . From all his works and productions. That alone, can take care of his Medical bills. Who makes sure they get these benefits? I heard of a body (COSAN) but how far, how well?


3# I believe the government should enact laws to make it mandatory for its citizens to have health insurance policy cover them. Just like it is mandatory to pay Tax. "HEALTH IS WEALTH". How long shall the Nation continue to loose its citizens due to inadequate funding of its Hospitals? Short-staffed hospitals, inadequate Training of staff, Inadequate Equipments and so on and so forth! There's need for a declaration of a state of Emergency in the Health Sector.


#4. Another issue is the lack of financial management by most of these Stars. Have you heard of Financial Advisors before? These are experts who can educate on Finances. We tend to overlook such priceless advisors. Although it comes with a fee .but at what cost? Financial inteligence and expertise is key for someone who wants to take and stay in control of his financial situations. I implore all other artiste to kindly take heed! Readers also can benefit from this short post. I as a person have benefitted. After all my favourite musician Innocent Idibia says and I quote ' Dem No dey Learn Finish, No body Fit Sabi Finish, So move Forward Instead of Reverse'. Let's Move on .I heard 2face has donated and Donjazzy too. not yet confirmed donjazzy's own but 2face's own is confirmed. What do you feel?

N.B - Please Pay into his account. BABATUNDE OKUNGBOWA, UBA Acct No 1015075120 #SaveOJBJezreel
Your support will go a long way

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope someone is reading ds or listening in....jay sleeky sleeky