Friday, November 29, 2013

Femi Kuti's 'Past,Present and Future'

Good day sir, we have some series of questions we would like to ask you on Princeyemimike's Blog affiliated to Naija F.M and Naija Lifestyle Magazine in the U.K

When did you start playing music sir?

Ans- It depends, I had a Trumpet at 8 but no Teacher, Professionally, I started to teach myself the Sax about 15 and I started professionally by 17 when I joined my father's band.

Which instruments do you play sir?

Ans- I kind of know how to play all instruments but professionally on stage, I play three, I would say the SAX, Trumpet and a bit of keyboard.

What was the first tune you learnt?

Ans- The first tune I learnt? The first tune I learnt was Escoba. I was in Igbobi College. It was a tune that my uncle Mr Nelson Cole taught me when I first picked up the sax. And I learnt a couple of songs at igbobi band. I learnt my first tune 'Ayayaya' by my father called perambulator professionally . This was very hard.

Which Famous Musician do you admire and why do you admire?

Famous? There are a couple. When I first started? I came at a cross road in my career where I had to decide if truly I wanted to do music. I thought music was just to play around and have fun and Charlie Parker when I listen to him was doing things on the saxophone that I thought were Inhuman and impossible. I just wondered then that I would not be able to do it. I knew I could not be like any of those I admired in the future, I just had to find my way.

Apart from Charlie Parker and your Dad, which other famous musician have you learnt from? Not only musically, but the total package?

Ans- Musician ? There are a couple of few, One of my father's Saxophonist UGOCHUKWU . Quincy jones, Charlie Parker, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley and I love Stevie wonder. There are a couple more.


Your fondest musical memories?
There are a couple of them Good and bad only you do not let the bad overshadow the good ones, the Kora Awards, The World music Awards, I never thought I would win the world music awards, being the first Nigerian to break through the International stage. The Birth of My First Son and the other children, Bang! Bang ! Bang ! Being a hit song, it was so massive that we were caught unawares.

Your best school Teacher?
NONE. I never liked any of my teachers (Laughter) especially Baptist Academy, my biology teacher Mr Okoro, Mr Adeleke. Ah I disliked all of them.

Have you ever been in any competition sir?
I never did that; I would have been too shy.

Best public performance?
Too many.

Any plans on University campus Tour?

If there is a sponsor, why not? But is that possible with all the problems in Nigeria now? ASUU strike, Boko Haram. When you cannot go to the Northern schools to perform because of Boko haram. Insecurity is a serious Issue in Nigeria. I would love to perform in the Northern part too; my career is basically live performance before the recording session. I focus more on the presentation of life band. Anything live, am game. I like when my band takes the Audience unawares

How do you feel when you listen to your music or your father's when you travel out? I was in pecham recently in London and I was listening to fela's song.

Ans- I would not know again because I have heard it so many times, but its always nice, most times I hear them in a bar.

Did your father ever beat you while you were younger?

Ans- about two times, one for stealing my mother's milk. The second was for taking my mother's cigarette.

What is your take on Nigerian Entertainment Industry?

No! no! no .rephrase that question, we do not have an industry in Nigeria, don't say that again, don't you know the meaning of industry? You can say sector, so rephrase that question.


What is your take on the Nigerian sector compared to overseas?

We have a long way to go considering the problems in Nigeria. That young people want to do something positive instead of being gangsters is a plus. What if they were gangsters? Or drug addicts? They have to be encouraged but unfortunately, we do not have the structures take for instance, the Hollywood, movies. They can close down Ikorodu road to land a plane and they can make it so real that you forget you are watching a movie; they have ten look alike for a movie. Almost everyone is an actor in los Angeles, that is an industry and these are the things we lack.
We do have great artiste here, but we lack people who can play musical instruments. Take for instance Nigerian Idols, in America, there would have been scouts. It does not mean that one came third, he or she cannot sing. The person lost out due to votes. In an industry, they would have been signed up and they will progress career wise, they will get people to write songs for he or she if the person cannot write songs, all they want is the texture of your voice. If you do not mess up your career, you will excel. I will always emphasize that we do not have enough young people playing musical instruments. Music is probably the most difficult profession. When you go o the Grammys they talk about Arts and science. Because Europe and America have understood music is about physics, arithmetic and science. It is all about what we have discussed. They do not take artistes for granted.

Bang! Bang! Bang! Where you the one who wrote the song?

I write all my songs.


Sir what is your take on the High cost of shooting videos?

I heard oh! Where is the money in the sector? Is there so much money? I have not patronized such; it has never come my way.

Which football club do you support?
I support Enyinmba.

What advice do you give people who have stage freight?

You really can't teach people, I went through it, it is a gradual process.

What makes a good session?
It is spiritual. You can never know, everything just goes smoothly.

Why do we have few musicians toeing the afro beat proper except for few people like you, lagbaja and Dede Mabiaku compared to reggae in Jamaica?

Because it is going to be hard to convince the fanatics of afro beat that you are not like fela, they begin to compare you with fela and you can never be like fela.

Do you teach music sir?

Only my children. Teaching music is not that simple; it is complex than you think. I admire people who teach it though.

The Bob-Marleys of this world have their children going into music, would you encourage that in the Anikulapo- Kuti family?

Of course I would.

How do you balance your music with your children?

I love my children and can sacrifice a lot of things for them. I always find time to spend with them.

Your album 'No place for my Dream'. What is it about? What is your dream?

My dream is to see Peace in the world. i was thinking of so many things like climate change and all. If you listen to the lyrics of the album, you will understand more.

How come the Album is not readily available in the Nigerian Market?

Because I could not get a label to promote it , they were ridiculous , they didn't want to pay an advance, I am not ready to devalue my music, I am not ready for an idiot, excuse my language for someone to tell me my music will not sell. I am not ready for anyone to play on my intelligence. I can afford to play in Ikoyi for 5,000 but I will rather play for free or the usual 500 I have been playing at the shrine since than for anyone to come and tell me nonsense. I don't have patience for such.

Your favourite Nigerian Musician sir?

I don't have one, I love all of them. I get along with all.

Your favourite Nigerian Producer sir?

I love all of them, if I begin to mention names and I leave out some or forget, the others will take it otherwise and it might be controversial.

Your Favourite Actor?

I like Will Smith, he is funny but not favourite and also, Denzel Washington too. Any good actor I will watch the movie but it has to be a very good movie

Your Favourite Colours sir?

I Love Red and Navy Blue but I don't like wearing Red.

Your favourite city in the world?

There are many. I like all major cities. I like Lagos, San Francisco, Paris and I even like towns when on tour I go to quiet towns. I like Abeokuta too but it's becoming Noisy nowadays like Lagos now.

Your Role in Occupy Nigeria Sir?

I just felt that if I came out many middle class people will be in support and come out. But I knew it would not succeed. I told them that NLC will sell out that they should have a plan B. But they were so sure that the wont .I told them they would compromise .but am against violence and I don't feel we need a bloody revolution and I wish many people will understand that. Look at Syria, Egypt, Tunisia and even Libya. I knew that Libya would not be better because it involved blood. If it had continued, it would have been violent. It was only NLC that could shut the country down peacefully.

What is Nigeria's number one problem sir?

Corruption. The government should not be corrupt, it should motivate its people, it should care about people. The government cannot be seen to give Alamieyeseigha Presidential pardon and come again to say no to corruption? Who will take you serious? What message are you sending to the youths? It's now like a cancer, look at Dimeji bankole, Iyabo Obasanjo what has the EFCC done about their case? Everybody is corrupt. We have gotten it so wrong, our orientation has to change. The change has to come from government.

What are the plans to make the shrine a Tourist Centre?

It already is whether we like it or not. It's not only in Nigeria, Fela's name is global. The biggest stars of hip hop know fela or femi. Jay Z, Miles Davies, Paul Mccartney , Lennon and Stevie wonder. These are names you will not believe because government tried to put his name down.

What do you do in your spare time?

Nothing, nowadays I just tweet.


What do you want to be remembered for, your legacy?

Nothing, because by then I would not give a damn (all Laughs). I cannot feel anything by then. Even when my mother died, I cremated her. people started saying all sorts. When you are dead, you cannot feel anything. So I don't want to be bothered. We need not be pompous; we are too arrogant in nature. Probably, the only things that will die with us are good memories. Did Abacha carry anything?
Thank you so much sir. We have concluded the interview.

SPECIAL THANKS to FEMI KUTI. His Manager and the African Shrine


PLEASE DO NOT DUPLICATE OR PUBLISH WITHOUT AUTHORZATION. FAILURE TO COMPLY IS AN INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT AND THE OFFENDER IS LIABLE.
PRINCEYEMIMIKE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice one..more to come